The Lighthouse's Story
"Brightpoint saw a need and they were really quick to jump on helping us out... it really impressed me."
Weatherization offers a home energy audit, energy-efficient repairs, and education. Services are available to renters and homeowners.
Moisture and mold prevention and control tips
- Repair water leaks inside the home quickly.
- Clean and repair gutters and downspouts regularly.
- Make sure the ground slopes away from the house’s foundation so that water does not enter or collect around the foundation.
- Keep air-conditioning drip pans clean and the drain lines unobstructed and flowing properly.
- Keep indoor humidity reasonable, ideally between 30 and 50 percent.
- If you see condensation or moisture collecting on windows, walls, or pipes—act quickly to dry the wet surface and reduce the indoor moisture level or eliminate the water source.
- Vent appliances that produce moisture to the outside.
- Use air conditioners and/or dehumidifiers when needed.
- Run the bathroom exhaust fan or open the window when showering. Use exhaust fans or open windows when cooking or running the dishwasher, etc.
- Cover cold surfaces with insulation.
- Increase the indoor air temperature.
Basic facts about lead and your health
- Lead is especially dangerous to children under six years of age.
- Can affect children’s brains and developing nervous systems.
- Reduced IQ and learning disabilities.
- Behavior problems.
- Lead is also harmful to adults and can pose many dangers.
- High blood pressure and hypertension.
- Pregnant women can transfer lead to fetus.
How to protect you and your family
- Regularly clean floors, window sills, and other surfaces.
- Wash children’s hands, bottles, pacifiers, and toys often.
- Make sure children eat a healthy, nutritious diet consistent with the USDA’s dietary guidelines.
- Wipe off shoes before entering house.
A success story
“My fuel bills were strangling me in the winter! My house felt really drafty, and it was impossible to keep it warm no matter how high I turned up the thermostat. The Weatherization Program found a lot of air leaks in my home and sealed them, and then insulated my walls and attics. They even repaired a duct that was pumping heat into my attic and cleaned up my furnace. The house feels comfortable now and I don’t have such enormous bills!”