The Brightpoint Energy Assistance Program (EAP) helps pay a portion of winter heating bills for households in Allen, Dekalb, LaGrange, Noble, Steuben, and Whitley Counties.
Please click here for details on current information due to COVID-19. We encourage you to continue accessing our services by calling, emailing, and using our website. Our phones are open from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Thursday and 8:00 am to 12:00 pm on Friday. Our offices are closed to the public.
EAP applications for program year 2022 are now available. The official program start date is November 1, 2021. We will not be able to prevent disconnections or call in pledges prior to this date.
NEW PROCESS as of October 21, 2021, CDC social distancing guidelines require us to limit the number of people in our lobby. We are requiring clients to schedule a 15 minute appointment to drop their applications off and be screened. Please call 1-800-589-2264 to schedule an EAP screening appointment. You may still submit the applications via email, fax, or the drop box without an appointment.
Please use the checklist below to ensure all required documentation has been submitted. Not submitting all required documentation will result in a delay in processing your application.
(COPIES of documents are required. Our offices are NOT able to make copies for mail in applications).
How to submit the application:
- Submit an application online at https://ihcda.azurewebsites.us/portal/
- Click here for the 2021-2022 Energy Assistance Mail-In Application.
- US Mail:
PO Box 10570
Fort Wayne, IN 46853-0570
- Fax: 1-844-510-5775 (Please verify after 2 business days that your fax has been received.)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Drop off at your local office(drop boxes are available)
You may submit the Energy Assistance Program web/mail-in application with the following documentation:
- The completed application with all questions answered, listing all household members (everyone that lives under the roof), and the last page signed and dated.
- The State-issued photo ID for the applicant that signed the application. Photo IDs are not required for other household members.
- Copies of Social Security cards for all members one year or older. REAL ID or current passport can be provided in lieu of Social Security Cards.
- Income documentation for the last 3 months prior to the date of application for each adult age 18 and over.
- If any member of the household receives Social Security, Supplemental Social Security, Veteran’s Benefits or Disability of any kind please provide a copy of the most recent award letter or a current bank statement that includes the applicants name, the banking institution name, and the date.
- Anyone claiming zero income must complete an Income Verification Affidavit for the past 3 months with explanation of how expenses were met. (Must be completed for each adult household member. Please make copies for additional adults in household.) In section 3, entering 0 or NA, etc. is not acceptable; you must provide an explanation of how expenses were met.
- If you paid child support, please send proof of child support payments.
- A copy of your current heating, electric, water and sewer bill.
- If you rent your home and electric and/or heating are included in your rent, please include a landlord affidavit completed and signed by your landlord.
- Households claiming Veteran status must provide a DD-214 or Veteran’s Administration Identification card.
- If you are a homeowner and your furnace is not working or is in need of repairs, please submit a copy of your property taxes, mortgage statement, homeowner insurance or deed.
Send COPIES of required documentation only. No documents will be returned.
By completing and submitting the application, you understand the following:
- Submitting a mail-in application does not stop a disconnect notice or guarantee assistance. Continue to pay your bill.
- Submitting an incomplete application will not stop a disconnection notice. Assistance will not be approved. Continue to pay your bill.
- It will be four to six months before the payments appear on utility bills.
- If you are disconnected or moved before the moratorium date of December 1, 2021, you won’t be protected from disconnection for non-payment.
- The EAP application must be returned to the Brightpoint office by May 15, 2022.
- Brightpoint cannot verify Social Security income or Social Security Numbers. Make a copy of your current Social Security Award Letter, or your bank statement if you have direct deposit for your Social Security, and submit with the EAP application.
If you have questions, please call (800) 589-3506, press 1 and then follow the prompts for utility assistance.
Postage is not provided.
The EAP Application and all required documentation must be submitted to the Brightpoint office by May 15, 2022.
Mail the application to:
PO BOX 10570
Fort Wayne, IN 46853-0570